Spoiler-free Reviews of older movies! Facetious remarks in red.

Bulletin Board

Bulletin Board:

I recently noticed that I've had waaaay more comments posted to this site than I had thought (which is great!) but they were all automatically flagged as spam so I didn't see them (which is not great). A word of advice if you want it seen: avoid hyperlinks or anything else the blogger.com system might interpret as an advertisement/lure. Or if you want it to be private and only for me, send an email to the address below.

Any requests? Comments? Suggestions?
Let me know on the General Discussion page or at pstuart.pdr@gmail.com!

Tuesday, October 16, 2012

Waxwork II: Lost In Time (1992, R)

This one picks up immediately at the conclusion of the first film, so I suggest watching them back to back (it's been a while since I've seen the original Waxwork, so if they had changed the actors for the main characters, I wouldn't have noticed.  I'm pretty sure they didn't btw.)  I also suggest being a couple drinks deep when watching this film so you can get into the silliness.  The original film is about a wax museum in which the displays are also a portal to the world and scene depicted in the diorama (werewolf attack, vampire's castle, Jack the Ripper attack in London).

In the sequel, the characters find it necessary to make use of a device that can open similar portals (bringing about the title "lost in time").  It's not a comedy per-se, but several of the scenes have humorous aspects in a horror-not-taken-too-seriously sort of way.  One of the other worlds the protagonists arrive in is themed after a '50's pulp style ghost horror movie... so the scene is shot on black and white film.  A few bigger name actors pop up in the various worlds of the story: Bruce Campbell (Evil Dead, My Name Is Bruce [and cameo appearances in each of the Spider-Man trilogy]), Mirina Sirtis (Star Trek: The Next Generation), and David Carradine (Kill Bill, Kung Fu television series) were some that I noticed.  While each of their appearances was brief (sorry, Delta Dandy), I must say that Campbell's scene and his role itself was the best part of the film.

If you liked the first one, you should love the second.  If you haven't seen the first, you should be able to get by with just the second, but you may as well watch both.  If you like horror movies that have a cheese topping shall we say, then you're in for a treat.  If you don't like humor in your horror or horror in your humor, if you need high production value and big name stars, this movie's not for you.

1 comment: