Spoiler-free Reviews of older movies! Facetious remarks in red.

Bulletin Board

Bulletin Board:

I recently noticed that I've had waaaay more comments posted to this site than I had thought (which is great!) but they were all automatically flagged as spam so I didn't see them (which is not great). A word of advice if you want it seen: avoid hyperlinks or anything else the blogger.com system might interpret as an advertisement/lure. Or if you want it to be private and only for me, send an email to the address below.

Any requests? Comments? Suggestions?
Let me know on the General Discussion page or at pstuart.pdr@gmail.com!

Friday, October 26, 2012

Arthur (1981, PG)

Not to be confused with the 2011 remake starring Russel Brand, this original version stars Dudley Moore (Santa Claus [1985], Bedazzled [1967, not to be confused with the 2000 remake starring Brendan Fraser]).  It's labelled as a comedy, but at the first scene I was worried that it would be a loose use of the term because it seemed more tragic than funny.  Sure, Arthur's every word was a joke or witticism of some sort (punctuated by uncontrollable laughter at his own jokes), but this was due to the fact that he was constantly drunk.  Don't get me wrong, I enjoy a drink or several on occasion myself, but a chronic state of inebriation is a result of and cause of tragedy, so it made me sad to see it in the film.  Fortunately, this scene was just setting up the status quo so that the rest of the film could get into the characters and situations, and allow us to see improvements in his mood and blood alcohol content.  The only reason he is still alive with this lifestyle is the fact that his family is obscenely wealthy.  I imagine that this movie pretty much chronicles what Bruce Wayne's life would have been like if his parents had not been killed inspiring him to become Batman.  Arthur even has his own faithful companion butler named Hobson (imagine Alfred Pennyworth but with the caustic wit cranked up to 11). 

I had seen Santa Claus (the movie, not the man) numerous times growing up, and that was the only film from which I would recognize Dudley Moore, so my ears perked up whenever there was a North Pole-y reference.  Once a character said he looked "like a Christmas elf" (in the Santa movie, he played the head elf, reporting directly to Claus himself) and on more than one occasion Arthur sang a Christmas song.  I would have thought this was a reference to the lead actor's prior roles, except for the fact that this film predates Santa Claus by 4 years.  Curious. 

Back to the story at hand.  At an upscale clothing store, Arthur meets a woman (shoplifter) who has enough spunk to keep his interest (and she's not even a prostitute like the other women he spends time with!).  This firebrand is named Linda (played by Liza Minelli, also from Cabaret and some episodes of Arrested Development), and to me this movie would be nothing without her.  She's strong, clever, confident, and funny.  Without spoiling too much of the plot, I'll just say that the conflict arises as Arthur is given an ultimatum by his family that he will be cut off from the family money unless he marries the daughter of their rich colleague (she's a fine girl too, but he has no interest in her): he doesn't want to settle down at all at first, and then later he finds the one woman he can't stop thinking about and it's not his intended.  But the reason to watch the film is not because of the conflict or elaborate plot (it's not elaborate) but to see the a) interactions between the characters and b) the witty dialogue.  If you're in a giggly mood and will laugh at any witty line you hear, then turn on this movie immediately!  If banter doesn't do it for you, then don't bother.  Myself, I was kind of put off by the lame comments/jokes early on, but I warmed up to them as the film continued.  Most of the lines were merely chucke-worthy, but there was one point in particular that I had to pause the movie so I wouldnt miss the next line because I was laughing so hard.  Maybe it just tickled my funny bone, but I thought it was great.

1 comment:

  1. They should remake this with Bruce Campell and call it "Arthur: Except this time he is way more bad ass and can punch you through the thigh with his left hand"

    ReplyDelete