Spoiler-free Reviews of older movies! Facetious remarks in red.

Bulletin Board

Bulletin Board:

I recently noticed that I've had waaaay more comments posted to this site than I had thought (which is great!) but they were all automatically flagged as spam so I didn't see them (which is not great). A word of advice if you want it seen: avoid hyperlinks or anything else the blogger.com system might interpret as an advertisement/lure. Or if you want it to be private and only for me, send an email to the address below.

Any requests? Comments? Suggestions?
Let me know on the General Discussion page or at pstuart.pdr@gmail.com!

Monday, October 15, 2012

The Frightening (2002, R)

Available to stream on Netflix through 10/18/12.
Not to be confused with The Frighteners starring Michael J. Fox.  This is very much a B movie.  When I saw the opening sequence the first thing I noticed was that the visual quality was lacking but the scene was about a decently done chase/pursuit.  As the movie continued, I saw some abysmal acting and some special effects you'd be likely to see from a good high school student film.  The script was not overly clever, but I must admit the end of the film did indeed have a bit of cleverness to it that let me leave with a certain satisfaction.  This is indeed a "good bad movie".  If you don't know what I'm talking about, then you probably won't like it.  But the film has that certain quality that brings charm to a B movie (maybe the cast and crew just care more about it despite the limited budget?).

The story takes place at Hallows End High School (though the start of the word "hallows" is cut off from the sign the first few times it's shown on screen), where misfit students (and teachers) tend to get murdered by a pack of guys with black clothes stocking caps and sunglasses (at night, naturally).  The school administration is surprisingly nonchalant about this.  The main character is a guy who just moved into town and meets two groups of kids that don't like each other but both seem to think he's pretty ok: the wrestling team and a group of goth/punk misfits.  Kind of a standard slasher movie.

It's easy for me to peg the target audience on this one.  If you like B-horror movies (like me), this is a pretty good one (not as laughable as many enjoy, but gets into itself). If you don't like B-movies, then stay far away from this one.

1 comment: