Spoiler-free Reviews of older movies! Facetious remarks in red.

Bulletin Board

Bulletin Board:

I recently noticed that I've had waaaay more comments posted to this site than I had thought (which is great!) but they were all automatically flagged as spam so I didn't see them (which is not great). A word of advice if you want it seen: avoid hyperlinks or anything else the blogger.com system might interpret as an advertisement/lure. Or if you want it to be private and only for me, send an email to the address below.

Any requests? Comments? Suggestions?
Let me know on the General Discussion page or at pstuart.pdr@gmail.com!

Sunday, October 14, 2012

Scorched (2003, PG-13)

This film is available on Netflix streaming until 10/18/12.

Filled with big name actors, this was a tragically un-funny movie.  Nor were the serious events very interesting.  It's a heist/caper flick that revolves around a bunch of disgruntled bank employees (who do not collaborate).  At this point the story pretty much writes itself, so I can't say much more without spoiling it.  The bank staff are played by Alicia Silverstone (Clueless, Batman And Robin), Woody Harrelson (Zombieland, Cheers television series), and Paulo Costanzo (Road Trip, Joey television series [spinoff of Friends]).  While I like a lot of the actors, none of them really shine, and with rare exception the gags were thoroughly bland.  Most of the moments that made me laugh (brief moments, I assure you) involved John Cleese (Monty Python's Flying Circus, A Fish Called Wanda) who was a rich bank patron.  Even Cleese fell short of his usually high mark.  I have really liked Costanzo in his other roles -he usually plays the same sort of character, and this was no exception- but he had less of a chance to display the lovably cerebral qualites here.  I can only blame the script because I don't think the delivery of any of the characters felt bland or artificial, but the words they said and the situations they found themselves in just felt lacking.  Costanzo's best friend and in the film was played by David Krumholtz (10 Things I Hate About You, Numbers television series) who I also tend to like seeing on film, but again the role was uninspired.  It pains me to say this because I like so much of the cast, but just skip this movie unless you feel a burning desire to see all of the films that feature any of these actors.

1 comment:

  1. One time, Bruce Campell and i watched this movie over a sasparila and bag of pork rinds. The movie was ok, but the pork was sour cream and onion. So there was that.

    ReplyDelete