Spoiler-free Reviews of older movies! Facetious remarks in red.

Bulletin Board

Bulletin Board:

I recently noticed that I've had waaaay more comments posted to this site than I had thought (which is great!) but they were all automatically flagged as spam so I didn't see them (which is not great). A word of advice if you want it seen: avoid hyperlinks or anything else the blogger.com system might interpret as an advertisement/lure. Or if you want it to be private and only for me, send an email to the address below.

Any requests? Comments? Suggestions?
Let me know on the General Discussion page or at pstuart.pdr@gmail.com!

Thursday, October 25, 2012

Lo (2009, NR)

OK, not what I expected.  Somehow from the cover of this movie I was expecting something along the lines of The Ring or The Grudge, and possibly a foreign (Japanese) film.  It was more like a cross between Faust, It's A Wonderful Life, Dante's Inferno, Hellboy, and an episode of Angel or Buffy The Vampire Slayer.  With a line from The Shining (1980) in one scene for good measure.  It was an indie film that could almost be done as a play.  I'm pretty sure the the vast majority of the budget was spent on the demons' makeup.  It's a closed-room movie, which means it's mostly focused on character development and interactions, which I like.  The characters (especially demons) are quirky and slightly comical though not knee-slapping funny.

The story is about a guy named Justin whose girlfriend was dragged to hell by a demon and he summons a demon named Lo (title character) to try to get her back.  The story's location is restricted not just to Justin's apartment, but to the pentagram he inscribed on the floor of his apartment (if he "breaks the circle" by moving any part of himself outside of it then his ward of protection from the demons is voided).  The film starts off with him finishing the circle and casting the spell, so they wasted no time there.  The back story of the two lovers and their romance is portrayed through flashbacks as Justin converses with Lo.  Justin was played by Ward Roberts, who I don't think I'd seen before but he kind of reminded me of Milo Ventimiglia (Heroes and Gilmore Girls television series), and the girl (April) was played by Sarah Lassez, who I was also unfamiliar with but she looks kind of like Chloe Moretz (Kick Ass, Let Me In) plus 10 years (which means she's adorable).

I was able to figure out part of the ending shortly before, but not all of it.  I think it was pretty clever especially at the end, though I can imagine the earlier parts of the film annoyging people if the dialoge was not to their taste/sense of humor.  Basically if you liked the Buffy and Angel shows, watch this and pretend it's a low-budget not-quite-Whedon spin-off... you'll dig it.  It's kind of hard to say what other movie it's like... scroll up and check out the list of movies in the first paragraph: if you like that idea, then you'll like this.  It's a creative take on a romance and on a horror, and the mash-up pretty much makes it right up my alley, but if you like your movies to do one thing and do it well then this might not be for you.

1 comment:

  1. 3 taco supreams with extra cheese i thought, hoping they wouldnt give me too much cream cheese using that specialty dairy gun they use. I toyed with the idea of asking for a mexican pizza with no tomatoes as well, but in the end descided to go with a steak casadillia instead. I sat in my booth, ready to consume the pho mexican goodness that lie before me, and i went to take a bite. Only when the taco passed my lips all i could taste was bitter and stale air. There was nothing. And now everything was black again. Step. Step. Step. I opended my eyes to discover i had never really left. It was all a tasty tasty dream. And sometimes, what we wake to can be worse than any nightmare. And thuogh i managed to open my eyes, i could not see anything. Yet the steps continued. Step. Step. Step. Were they behind me? "why are you doing this?" I screamed. "who are you?!!?" The steps did not answer, nor did they stop. Step. Step. Step.

    (to be continued)

    ReplyDelete