Spoiler-free Reviews of older movies! Facetious remarks in red.

Bulletin Board

Bulletin Board:

I recently noticed that I've had waaaay more comments posted to this site than I had thought (which is great!) but they were all automatically flagged as spam so I didn't see them (which is not great). A word of advice if you want it seen: avoid hyperlinks or anything else the blogger.com system might interpret as an advertisement/lure. Or if you want it to be private and only for me, send an email to the address below.

Any requests? Comments? Suggestions?
Let me know on the General Discussion page or at pstuart.pdr@gmail.com!

Wednesday, October 24, 2012

Don't Be Afraid Of The Dark (2010, R)

The title is a lie!  DO be afraid of the dark (at least if you are a character in this movie).
The story is about a little girl going to live with her dad (played by Guy Pierce, from Memento and The Time Machine) and his girlfriend (played by Katie Holmes, from Batman Begins and the Dawson's Creek television series) in the huge stately manor they are restoring (dad is an architect and the girlfriend is an interior designer).  The prologue scene establishes that the furnace-looking grate in the basement is home to little gnome things that like to eat teeth, especially those of children.  Fun times.  An amusing Easter egg in this film that I'm sure I never would have picked up on if I hadn't studied up on paganism a bit in college is that the markings over the basement grate are Elder Futhark (ancient runes) that equate to the Roman letters for the English words "Be Afraid".  I guess Guy Pierce doesn't read ancient Norse.  Guillermo Del Toro (Pan's Labyrinth, Hellboy) was a screenwriter and producer on this film and that was apparent (in a good way): the engravings and detailing on the set, the darkly  rich color schemes, the child who encounters supernatural forces that might seem friendly but are instead sinister (Pan's Labyrinth, The Devil's Backbone), the appearance of the creatures.  The stylistic visuals were not as overt as in Hellboy II, but just added to the richness of the scenes.

I liked some of the subtleties in storytelling.  Example: the dad greets the daughter with a smile and all the standard phrases a dad would say to try to endear a kid but lacks warmth and the teddy bear is the only one to say "I love you" (don't worry, the bear has a computer chip, not a demon).  Whether the audience is conscious of it or not, you can tell there's something missing in the human interaction.  The movie relied on worry, terror and pain for the characters, not simple jump-scares.  I really liked it for a horror movie, but keep in mind it's not like Friday the 13th style.  It doesn't have any nudity and no foul language sticks out in my mind, but it does have blood and some painful looking wounds.

If you like intelligent horror movies (almost a thriller, but not quite), this is great.  While I haven't seen much of Katie Holmes on film, I tend to enjoy everything I see Guy Pierce is in (due to the film itself, not necessarily because of him), so that's a good vote for this movie.  If you don't like yucky wounds, or if you don't like to be scared (or if you don't like movies with kids in the main cast, though this was not a dumb kid), then of course don't watch this movie.
On a personal note, my neighbors keep propping the front door open so now there are a bunch of little bugs in my apartment, and when you look directly at them they look kind of like fireflies but without the glowing, but when you only see them out of the corner of your eye after watching this movie they look like little goblins that are going to eat your teeth.  I'm going to bed now.

1 comment:

  1. I wasnt in the loby long before it started. The noise. It began as a low hum, more of a vibration really. But as it seemed to grow in strength and momentum, my fear began to rise. Louder and louder, stronger and stronger. I fell to my knees clasping my ears, beging for it to stop. I screamed and wailed at the top of my lungs, shouting to the emptyness and fury, tears streaming down from my clenched eyes. I dont know how long it lasted. Sometimes i think i may have layed there for mere seconds, while others i am convinced it was hours. And just has sudden as it began, the noise stopped.

    I remember how quiet the room became. It was so quiet. And although seconds before this slince had been my only wish, i now found myself terrified by the emptyness. When i had dropped to the ground durriing the noise i had also closed my eyes. Only now i found myself too terrified to open them, feeling some unkonwn and ancient fear that froze me to the ground. I laid there. And there was nothing. Nothing. Nothing. Nothing. Step. Step. Step. Step. STEP. STEP. They were getting closer. Someone was comming closer. Why couldnt i open my eyes, why couldnt i bare to look at whoever had entered this madness beside me? God i love taco bell. I mean it's not even funny how much i do.

    (to be continued)

    ReplyDelete