Spoiler-free Reviews of older movies! Facetious remarks in red.

Bulletin Board

Bulletin Board:

I recently noticed that I've had waaaay more comments posted to this site than I had thought (which is great!) but they were all automatically flagged as spam so I didn't see them (which is not great). A word of advice if you want it seen: avoid hyperlinks or anything else the blogger.com system might interpret as an advertisement/lure. Or if you want it to be private and only for me, send an email to the address below.

Any requests? Comments? Suggestions?
Let me know on the General Discussion page or at pstuart.pdr@gmail.com!

Tuesday, October 23, 2012

Translyvania 6-5000 (1985, PG)

OK this is a horror/comedy that barely qualifies for the horror part, but it does have a mummy, vampire, Frankenstein monster, hunchback, etc.  It's a slapstick gag-humor saturated comedy befitting of the decade in which it was made (the beloved '80's).  The title stems from the number you would give to a telephone operator (back in the day) in order to reach the hotel where much of the film takes place.  The level/type of humor is something between Roxanne (1987) and Jane Austen's Mafia! (1998, which had nothing to do with the author of Pride and Prejudice).

It starts off with a serious reporter working for a hack tabloid (played by Jeff Goldblum, also from Jurassic Park and The Fly remake) teamed up with a gullible need-to-please reporter at the same tabloid (played by Ed Begley Jr. from St. Elsewhere and several other television series).  They are sent to Transylvania to investigate a Frankenstein sighting (a curious location as Frankenstein was supposed to be vaguely Italian and Transylvania was the historic home of Dracula).  The mayor of the town in which they investigate is played by the iconic Jeffrey Jones (Howard The Duck, Ferris Bueler's Day Off).  Goldblum is naturally hesitant to believe the crazy crap he hears from his partner, but I was pleasantly surprised to see that his skepticism did not prevent him from following along in the pursuit of facts related to their case.  The hotel staff consist of: Michael Richards (Kramer from the Seinfeld television series), who is intent on gag humor (banana peels, etc); and a married couple of hunchbacks, the wife in which was clumsy, silly, and completely lovingly devoted to her husband.  While she annoyed him, I couldn't help but fall in love with her for loving him so much.  She was played by Carol Kane (The Princess Bride ["I'm not a witch, I'm your wife!  But I'm not even sure I want to be that anymore!"], Adams Family [film versions]).  A hot young Gina Davis (Beetlejuice, The Fly remake) plays a vampire woman with cleavage down to her navel who appeared at quite random moments.

Don't worry, Vampirella: I won't struggle.
The plot of the story is almost incidental to the gag humor (which, don't get me wrong, is hilarious if you're in a mood to be receptive to it).  While parts of the end were only mildly clever, there was one part that warmed me inside and made me glad to see it.  If you're in a grumpy mood, don't bother, you'll hate this.  But if you're in a silly mood or in your cups with your friends, this can be a darned fun time.  I must have been in the right mood because laughed quite a bit throughout and I enjoyed the movie.  For me it's good but still not quite awesome.

1 comment:

  1. The entrance to the building was mainly bare, with little decoration or artistic expresion in its construction, save a small galley window, centering each of the two doors and small etching of the address 5-500.

    The doors were heavy, however, which could often be a pain when trying to enter juggling an irish coffee and my weekly copies of redbook and my Bruce Campbell zine. Today, however, i had finished my coffee in the car, and was able to push open the door with little effort.

    Inside, the usual sight of Jan, our smiling recpetionist, was noticably absent, and just like the car park i seemed to be the only soul in the builiding today.

    Little did i know just how wrong i was.

    (to be continued)

    ReplyDelete