Spoiler-free Reviews of older movies! Facetious remarks in red.

Bulletin Board

Bulletin Board:

I recently noticed that I've had waaaay more comments posted to this site than I had thought (which is great!) but they were all automatically flagged as spam so I didn't see them (which is not great). A word of advice if you want it seen: avoid hyperlinks or anything else the blogger.com system might interpret as an advertisement/lure. Or if you want it to be private and only for me, send an email to the address below.

Any requests? Comments? Suggestions?
Let me know on the General Discussion page or at pstuart.pdr@gmail.com!

Tuesday, December 18, 2012

He-Man & She-Ra: A Christmas Special (1985, TV-Y7)

I haven't seen He-Man since I was a little guy, so I don't remember hardly any of it other than what a couple of the main characters kind of look like.  This was a TV special that was about twice the length of a normal episode (just under an hour without commericals), and it ends up with the first time Christmas is celebrated in Eternia.  It starts off with preparations for the twins' birthday party (I presume He-Man and She-Ra, or at least their human alter-egos, are the twins) which [the queen?] notes is a similarly large and similarly timed celebration to the Earth holiday of Christmas.  I guess she's been to Earth before and/or heard about it?  I'll say right here (and you can probably deduce from my post so far) that this movie is intended for people who are already He-Man/She-Ra fans.  If you're nostalgic for those characters and shows, then this will be a fun holiday special for you.  You'll see a smorgasbord of characters you've been longing to see all in the same place at the same time.  But, if you're not already a fan, then you'll be lost in the absurdly-descriptively-named characters and cheesy dialogue.


Anyway, Christmas gets worked in to the story when Orco gets accidentally transported to Earth and meets some kids who are looking for a Christmas tree.  They explain the holiday and it sounds like fun to him.  While the holiday/season in question is definitely Christmas one, and the part with presents is definitely a hook, I liked that they made a definite effort to focus on the "holiday spirit", "good will toward man", kindness, and family... all of which is good for any religion/practices.  And He-Man's monologue to the viewers at the end of the story mentions that "not everyone celebrates Christmas" but that the holiday spirit is cool for everyone.  And I must say that Skeletor was definitely my favorite character in this story.  For me the movie is about 1.5 stars.  I didn't find it offensively bad (the cheesiness is par for the course) but it holds no interest for me at this point in my life.  As far as holiday specials go, I by far prefer the Justice League episode Comfort and Joy (funny and heartwarming for kids and adults alike).  But like I said before, if you're a He-Man and/or She-Ra nut, then you'll probably really dig this special.

No comments:

Post a Comment