Spoiler-free Reviews of older movies! Facetious remarks in red.

Bulletin Board

Bulletin Board:

I recently noticed that I've had waaaay more comments posted to this site than I had thought (which is great!) but they were all automatically flagged as spam so I didn't see them (which is not great). A word of advice if you want it seen: avoid hyperlinks or anything else the blogger.com system might interpret as an advertisement/lure. Or if you want it to be private and only for me, send an email to the address below.

Any requests? Comments? Suggestions?
Let me know on the General Discussion page or at pstuart.pdr@gmail.com!

Tuesday, December 11, 2012

2012: Science Or Superstition (2008, NR)

Another documentary about the 2012 Mayan prophecy and the end of their calendar, this one predates my previous reviewed film by a year (and is far superior in quality).  While it doesn't review non-Mayan theories that tend to coincide with the 2012 end date, it does review the actual Mayan culture and their creation and end-time myths in far more detail.  This film also spends quality time reviewing actual astronomy and what will be going on with the relative locations of the Earth, the Sun, and the Milky Way galaxy.

It got to the point early on in the film and managed to keep good density of new information.  They interviewed a nice selection of scholars who I am otherwise unfamiliar with but who are hopefully legit (I did notice that their credentials at the bottom of the screen said "Author of [book]" rather than "Professor of [science] at [respected university]"... oh well).  I was pleased to see that not all of the scholars agreed with each other, which tells me that the filmmakers were looking to provide various information about the subject rather than promote an agenda or to try to make one "expert" look good.  I noticed that one CG graphic about solar flares weakening the Earth's electromagnetic field and potentially damaging the planet was also used in the other documentary, 2012: Mayan Prophecy.  Since Science Or Superstition predates the other film by a year, I can know that either it originally created the CG sequence or else both films took it from a common source (I'm just glad that this one didn't copy it from the inferior version).

Overall, I found this documentary very informative and well made.  Admittedly, I might have a slightly inflated impression of it because I watched it immediately after the other documentary that I liked much less.  The disadvantage to this version was that it was so dense with pertinent information that I found my attention drifting (fatigue) at times.  Though that might also be due to the fact that I watched two films at the end of  a long day.  For me, the film gets about 4 stars.  If you don't like documentaries, then for goodness sake don't watch this... but if you're interested in learning a bit more about the Mayan myth and the astronomical events occurring, then this is a good way to get some information in a pretty short amount of time.

No comments:

Post a Comment