Spoiler-free Reviews of older movies! Facetious remarks in red.

Bulletin Board

Bulletin Board:

I recently noticed that I've had waaaay more comments posted to this site than I had thought (which is great!) but they were all automatically flagged as spam so I didn't see them (which is not great). A word of advice if you want it seen: avoid hyperlinks or anything else the blogger.com system might interpret as an advertisement/lure. Or if you want it to be private and only for me, send an email to the address below.

Any requests? Comments? Suggestions?
Let me know on the General Discussion page or at pstuart.pdr@gmail.com!

Monday, November 26, 2012

The Masque Of The Red Death (1964, NR)

This was the first film I've seen that was directed by Roger Corman, but he's a bit of a famous director and I'm told that this movie (or any of his Edgar Allen Poe adaptations) would be a good one to start with.  The main actor in the film is Vincent Price (The Fly, Tales Of Terror), who is a camp-horror cult icon.  Unfortunately for me, the first (and only, for the longest time) movie in which I saw him act was Edward Scissorhands in which he played a lovable -if idiosyncratic- old man.  This messed with my mind in the opening scene of Masque Of The Red Death, because here he plays a sadistic, despotic, decadent, Satan-worshipping Prince Prospero who is in no way lovable.  The story takes place in a vaguely-Medieval Europe and all fear a plague they call the Red Death.  The Prince is also about to host a several-day party in his castle for his aristocrat friends.


The movie had sort of a slow build after the first scene in which we learn to loathe the Prince.  There was not a lot of character development nor an arc for hardly any of the characters, which left me sort of disappointed, but I suppose it's par for the course in a film based on a horror short story.  The characters are at worst one-dimensional or at best characters out of a fairy tale (granted, the original non-Disney version of the tale), not very complex.  It's more of a mood-setting experiential film compared to what you'd see today.  It definitely has a Poe feel to it, and I must say Price's voice is always a treat to hear (if you like creepiness like I do)... so I think they accomplished what they set out to do, though it wouldn't appeal to most audiences.  My favorite part of the story was the sub-plot involving some of the other characters at the party in Prospero's castle. 

If you enjoyed The Seventh Seal, then I think you'll like this movie; I saw various similarities.  If you're more a fan of modern-type horrors or faster-paced movie (or if you don't like horror movies at all), then don't bother with this one.  For me, I'd give the movie about 2.5-3 stars.  Not that it was bad, just that I didn't get a lot of entertainment out of it.

2 comments:

  1. Was there a scene were he is driven insane, and his hand gets possesed and he has to cut it off yelling who's laughing now?

    Also, Bruce Campbell.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hmmm... now that I think about it, I wonder if Idle Hands was partly inspired by Evil Dead II.

    ReplyDelete