Spoiler-free Reviews of older movies! Facetious remarks in red.

Bulletin Board

Bulletin Board:

I recently noticed that I've had waaaay more comments posted to this site than I had thought (which is great!) but they were all automatically flagged as spam so I didn't see them (which is not great). A word of advice if you want it seen: avoid hyperlinks or anything else the blogger.com system might interpret as an advertisement/lure. Or if you want it to be private and only for me, send an email to the address below.

Any requests? Comments? Suggestions?
Let me know on the General Discussion page or at pstuart.pdr@gmail.com!

Wednesday, November 21, 2012

The Four-Faced Liar (2010, R)

This movie is basically an exploration of different types of interpersonal relationships (friendships, romance, etc).  The main characters include a cohabiting tidy couple, a non-cohabiting less-tidy more spontaneous couple, and the non-cohabiting guy's also-non-tidy lesbian roommate.  The characters all move into their respective New York apartments at the start of the school year (all but one are students, the other a recent grad) and encounter each other at the film's namesake, a bar called The Four-Faced Liar, named after a clock tower in Ireland (so I'm told by the characters) that among its four clock faces tell four different incorrect times.
  The opening scene cut between the two residences and their residents, contrasting their different lifestyles, and it just seemed to set things up well.  I wish I could elaborate as to what about it I liked, but it just gave me the feeling of a well put-together film.  From that scene, I thought I was being set up to look down on the sloppier roomates, but I found all of the characters compelling and likeable in their own way.  The characters go through various interactions with each other (and to some extend with characters outside the group), some positive, some negative, and they learn about themselves and each other as a result.  As an audience, we won't agree with everything they do, but they just felt like real people with a year of their life boiled down to the situations that tell a compelling story.  The movie had a couple of laughs, but not more than other non-comedies (even the Punisher and Jurassic Park has funny moments).
I really liked this film.  I think the actors, though previously completely unknown to me, did a great job.  Their performances felt genuine and the characters' feelings really came through.  If you liked St. Elmo's Fire or Kicking And Screaming (the 1995 post-college drama/comedy, not the 2005 Will Ferrell comedy), then I think you'll like this movie, though the comparison movies are distinctly post-college and this one is in college (but I get the impression they're close to graduation).  For me it's a solid 4 stars.

1 comment:

  1. Bruce Campbell would have slept with all of them before brunch. Also, i love marbles.

    ReplyDelete