Spoiler-free Reviews of older movies! Facetious remarks in red.

Bulletin Board

Bulletin Board:

I recently noticed that I've had waaaay more comments posted to this site than I had thought (which is great!) but they were all automatically flagged as spam so I didn't see them (which is not great). A word of advice if you want it seen: avoid hyperlinks or anything else the blogger.com system might interpret as an advertisement/lure. Or if you want it to be private and only for me, send an email to the address below.

Any requests? Comments? Suggestions?
Let me know on the General Discussion page or at pstuart.pdr@gmail.com!

Wednesday, January 23, 2013

Jesus Henry Christ (2012, PG-13)

This is a quirky comedy about a brilliant 10 year-old boy named Henry with a perfect memory.  He's raised by his single mother and his father was an anonymous sperm donor.  The title of the film (along with the lack of a tangible father) had lead me to presume that Henry would be an analogue for the historical Jesus or that his story/character arc would have strong similarities but that's not the case.  Several of the characters use "Jesus H. Christ" as an exclamation and one ponders what the H stands for.

Anyway, Henry is a really likable character, good natured and mature.  I suppose there are some similarities to Jesus, but also to Martin Luther and Martin Luther King as well.  Henry's mother is played by Toni Collette (The United States Of Tara series, Little Miss Sunshine), which is kind of fitting because I find that this movie seems to have similarities to Little Miss Sunshine (in which Collette also plays the mother of a quirky family) and Little Man Tate (which has Jodi Foster as the mother of a genius child).  Though the film has serious moments and social issues mentioned, it is also funny at times and far less depressing than Little Miss Sunshine.  Michael Sheen (Tron: Legacy, Twilight Saga: Breaking Dawn) played a college professor who was my favorite character in the movie.  He is flawed, and one of his actions that he thought was for the best turned sour and he does what he can to make amends.  I just really connected with him and felt like I got him.  Henry's grandfather is another character that is quirky, charming and will be a favorite character for many viewers as well.

I don't think any of the moments in the movie made me laugh out loud, but I definitely smirked at moments, and I was very happy with some of the characters' personal triumphs.  I found it extremely charming and uplifting in many ways despite struggles for characters.  If you liked definitely Little Miss Sunshine and probably Little Man Tate, then you'll like this.  I also get kind of a Midnight In Paris feel from this movie, though I can't quite put my finger on why (it's doesn't involve literary or art history really).  For me the movie is 4.5 stars, or if I'm being generous, a 5.  I would definitely watch this one again, and probably will in order to have some of my friends see it.

No comments:

Post a Comment